Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Fisheries Museum in Lunenbourg


This past saturday in afternoon I attended a tour of the fisheries museum along with students from my Ocean Use and Management class. It was a little different then I expected (being that I had never been there before). I was truly amazed by the species of fish that they had in the bottom level of the museum, as well in particular by the aquarium in the center of the room that was simulating a marine environment with codfish, and flounders. In a way it was a bit disapointing that a lot of species that they normally have on hand during the season were not there; however I plan on making a trip back sometime this summer to see what it looks like at the heat of tourist season. As well it was a little frustrating that lots of the outdoor sections of the museum were not viewable. I know this would have added to the experience. Another thing that I really liked about the museum was how it seemed to hold true to the areas traditions and does not seem to be as heavilly dominated aby the tourism industry as others of its kind. Lets just hope that this museum stays open so that future generations can enjoy a little bit of history of Nova Scotia.

No comments: